Responsibilities The Engineering Department provides supervision and technical assistance to the Town on various projects and services relating to public facilities and serves as staff support to the Stormwater Advisory Committee.
- Road Construction Projects - Supervision of consultants and contractors in the design and construction of roads, including right of way acquisition and utility coordination. Through the Technical Committee of the Knoxville Regional Transportation Planning Organization, the Town has received extensive federal funding for our major roadway projects, as well as many of our sidewalk and greenway projects.
- Park/Greenway Construction Projects - In cooperation with the Parks & Recration Department, performs oversight of park and greenway improvements.
- Review of Commercial Developments and Subdivision Plats - Review of site plans, subdivision plats and construction of public infrastructure such as subdivision streets and drainage systems to ensure compliance with the Town’s engineering regulations.
- Pavement Management - Supervision of resurfacing contracts, which includes the recommendation of streets to be resurfaced based upon thorough inspections. A resurfacing schedule is approved annually by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
- Drainage Improvements - Provides design and oversight of drainage improvement projects constructed by our Public Works Department.
- Stormwater Program - As an NPDES Phase II community, the Town is dedicated to improving water quality in our creeks.
- Traffic Management Program - Recommends safety improvements for motorists and pedestrians, maintenance and timing of traffic signals.
- Public Street Lighting - Inspection and maintenance in cooperation with Lenoir City Utilities Boards.
More information is available on Department Services.