Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning Division
The department evaluates issues relative to development occurring within the Town. The planning staff is primarily responsible for administering and the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations and applicable sections of the Municipal Code.
The Planning and Zoning t staff also provides support to the Farragut Municipal Planning Commission, Farragut Board of Zoning Appeals, Visual Resources Review Board and the Municipal Court.
For planning and zoning related questions please call 865-675-2384
- Assistance to Citizens - Staff answers questions about the Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, Tree Protection Ordinance, Aquatic Buffer Ordinance, Sinkhole Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, Property Maintenance Code, and general land use issues.
- Review of Requests for Rezonings, Text Amendments to Land Use Related Documents, and Text Amendments to the Sign Ordinance - Requests are reviewed, background and supporting information are compiled, and recommendations on the requests are made, in most cases, to the Municipal Planning Commission and the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.
- Review of Requests for the Subdivision of Property - Concept plans, preliminary plats, final plats, resubdivision plats, and plats of correction are reviewed for compliance with the Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, Tree Protection Ordinance, Aquatic Buffer Ordinance, Sinkhole Ordinance, and Subdivision Regulations. Staff then makes recommendations to the Municipal Planning Commission.
- Review of Site Plans for all Non-Single Family or Two-Family Residential Uses Such as Commercial, Office, Public, Semi-Public, Other Non-Residential Uses and Multi-Family Developments - Site plans are reviewed to ensure they are in compliance with Town requirements such as setbacks, open space, maximum lot coverage, parking requirements, landscaping, tree protection, access and other Town requirements. Recommendations on submitted plans are made to the Municipal Planning Commission.
- Review of Residential Site Plans - Site plans are reviewed to ensure they are in compliance with Town setback requirements, maximum lot coverage requirements, and access requirements; and to confirm that easements are not violated.
- Review of Sign Applications and Landscape Plans - Applications and plans are reviewed to ensure compliance with all Town requirements. Recommendations are made on applications for ground signs and landscape plans to the Visual Resources Review Board. The staff reviews and approves applications and plans for all wall signs.
- Reviews and Approves Special Events Permits
- Enforcement of Sign Ordinance - Staff enforces the sign ordinance throughout the Town.
- Review of Requests for Special Exceptions, Variances, Zoning Ordinance, Sign Ordinance, and Sinkhole Ordinance Interpretations and Appeals - Requests are reviewed, background and supporting information is compiled and recommendations are made to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Preparation of Community Plans - This includes such plans as the pedestrian and bicycle plan, land use plan, community facilities plan, utility arboretum plan, and other related documents.